Winlog32 Display Windows

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
GU6EFB
Keen user

Winlog32 Display Windows

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Would it be possible to add a find / reset display windows button as a couple of older amateurs that i help with IT matters both have experienced the same issue and I thought that it was something that they were doing until the same thing happened to me the other day.

We all use SDR transceivers and we have 4 monitors connected to our PC's and display some of the floating windows on other monitors every now and again on Winlog32 start we lose a window its just not their if you look on the task bar it will show that the window is open but you can not find it.

The only way that i have found to recover the lost window is to edit the respective window display settings in the ini file so the window then is displayed again. Hope this makes sense.

Also When using Google maps one thing I notice, when the map/s appear, is that there are a row of arrows,
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is this correct? only noticed this since the Google maps API change

Thanks for your help

73 Keith GU6EFB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Winlog32 Display Windows

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Keith

RE: windows, not sure if this is a problem specific to multiple monitors, have you tried the menu bar - menu/Window and clicked on the 'hidden' window there as it should restore it.
Any particular window gets hidden?
Does this mean that if you restart the program - the windows remain hidden?
If thi is so, and if it happens again, can you send me a copy of the winlog32.ini file?

RE: the <<<< in the maps

You should be able to delete those lines in the earth.htm file, they are just an indicator or where to alter the code, they should be preceded, they are rem'd out so should not normally display, I think I deleted them from the current template file.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

when a window goes missing its missing no amount of tring with any of the functions within winlog32 will find the window.
restarting winlog32 or the PC will not restore the missing window.

The only way to restore the missing window is to edit the ini file for the respective missing window position, height ect with values that you know will at least display the window.

73 Keith GU6EFB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the explanation Keith.

So which of the windows are we talking about? only a few actually save their size and position and this should only occur when they are NOT minimised, however I am not sure how the window positions are calculated on multiple monitors.
In any case it will not be a big job to have a reset in case they go missing although would rather trap it before this happens.

Will be looking into this.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

The windows that go awol the most of the time are the DXcluster band map and the google maps windows

73 Keith GU6EFB
M1SLH
New user

Post by M1SLH »

Hi Colin,

I think I have this problem too, on my single monitor. It worked OK until today after a Windows update...

I am running Windows 10, and all my amateur radio programs are in a seperate C:\hamradio directory.
WL32 starts and displays the flash screen, but then all I see is the DXCC W/C window. As Keith says, no amount of clicking and keyboard shortcuts bring the window back.

Which lines in the .ini file need changing?

Thanks
Ken
M1SLH
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Ken

Which window has gone missing?

If the the maps window is missing if you look in the ini file you will find a section for the maps with display position,height
ect. Just change these numbers to the same as a window that is displayed then reposition the window to its correct place.

73 Keith GU6EFB
M1SLH
New user

Post by M1SLH »

Hi Keith,

All the windows are missing except the one titled "W/C:DXCC". When I was testing last night I did get the main logging window open full screen. However, when I attempted to resize (clicking the square top right) it vanished never to return.
What do the values in the .ini file represent for height and width, they seem very large? My monitor is 1920x1080.
Thanks
Ken
M1SLH
M1SLH
New user

Post by M1SLH »

Now sorted. After a fresh cup of coffee, this is what I did:

Closed Winlog32 from the icon.
Renamed Winlog.ini to Winlog.old
Opened Winlog32 again. It displayed properly as it thought it was a new install.
Closed it down again.
Copied the LOG and LOTW sections from Winlog.old to the newly created Winlog.ini (just to save me configuring it all again)

Re opened Winlog32. It now displays properly. Had to change a few more settings.
Finally, ran a backup to memory stick.
Have I missed anything?

Bit of a pain and, as it says in the comments, not recommened if you don't know what you're doing. I've spent a lifetime in IT. No idea what caused it but coincided with a a Windoze update...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Ken
M1SLH
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

[LOGPAGEVIEW]
appLeft=-8910
appTop=540
appHeight=13605
appWidth=12210
appWindow=0

These values set the position of the main Winlog32 window.

If you see any NEGATIVE values (as in example appleft=-8910) then they could be the problem, particularly with 'appleft' and 'apptop' settings, also if positive values are generated beyond the screen width/height, I need to know from you Keith, how multiple monitors change these values when on the second screen, and when changing back from duplex screens to a single screen?.

I will program in so that negative values will not be saved, hopefully this would solve some of the problems, however not sure about multiple screens as yet, where large values will set it beyond the screen right/bottom visibility.

73 Colin
G0CUZ