Simple Beginner Questions

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
KJ4IPF
New user

Simple Beginner Questions

Post by KJ4IPF »

1) When I click on a previous entry from the Log, its details are loaded into the field editor on the left. There is no way (ESC key etc) to get out of editing the current contact and start a new contact, So I end up quitting the program every time. There has to be a better way

2) I imported hundreds of contacts from N1MM and they are all there in my log. When I right click on 'Look up for DXCC', every single one says "Country NOT WORKED". So I if make a new contact for a country obviously already worked, I get no notification "already worked" or "not worked, this is a new one you need' I kinda need a logging program to do this without reading 1000 help pages to figure out how to turn that feature on. It should be automatic

3) Not all contacts have the details filled in, location etc. Is this an automatic QRZ lookup in the background that failed?
The club call RT7D is an an example. No details. Do I have to right-click on hundreds of contacts and do lookups on them all?

4) All my American Contacts have Continent:NA, STATUS: DXCC, ITU ZONE:WASHINGTON, QRB Km:177, QRB Miles:110
All 300 of them....im NOT typing anything else into this app until it does the heavy lifting of doing lookups and filling in the blanks for me

Sorry for complaining, unless im missing something.....the feature set looks nice, Rig Control, Clusters, Spotting to Cluster, BandMap, LOTW, etc
Thanks
KJ4IPF
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Simple Beginner Questions

Post by G0CUZ »

To get out of editing and ready for a new contact, just click on the END button, this resets the log for new input, simple as that.

When entering QSO data use the ENTER keyboard key (not mouse or TAB).

When you have imported your QSO, you need to populate the DXCC database using the 'Log Check Robot' (Menu/Tools), then you can look-up your DXCC stats etc..

>>>3) Not all contacts have the details filled in, location etc.

Winlog32 stores a minimum amount of QSO data, and then what you have added to the log yourself, much else can be looked up on-the-fly so no real point in duplicating everything.
There is some functions to fetch name & QTH info from a Callbook into the log, but again why do it when on=the-fly info is available anyway.

The Country data (to right of Callsign input) again is produced on-the-fly, this info is deducted from the Callsign entered in the log, this is not always accurate for US stations where the prefix is no longer a good indication of call area.
In most cases the distance (QRB/QTF) is calculated to either the capital city, or the regional city where this can reasonably be deduced this not always the 'center' of the country, in the case of VHF where a grid locator is being entered the entered grid is used for calculations.

I hope this explains some things for you.

There is also online help look-up available (F1) on many windows and functions.

73 Colin
G0CUZ