Handling international charaters

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
GM3ZZA
New user

Handling international charaters

Post by GM3ZZA »

I had a problem importing a contact's name from FLDIGI which had the U-umlaut character via ADIF file. When winlog32 read the ADIF in it the U-umlaut appeared as two characters.

It appeared that FLDIGI wrote the character in UTF-8 format, whereas winlog32 read it in default windows format. Wordpad did the same.

When I looked at the ADIF spec, it seemed that ADIF-2 (and -1) do not support international characters at all. Fields are defined as character (which is bytes with decimal values 1 to 127) and strings (arrays of characters).

Only ADIF-3 introduces support for international characters as new datatypes and new field names using them.

I am not asking for a change here as there may be a whole raft of unexpected implications and this is only 1 QSO that has had this problem. Just reporting it as a "feature".

73 Phil GM3ZZA
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Handling international charaters

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the report on that Phil

You are right winlog32 does not support the ADIF3 spec regarding the UTF-8 character set.

Hope it has not caused too much concern

73 Colin
G0CUZ