TS-870 CAT control query

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G1DYC
New user

TS-870 CAT control query

Post by G1DYC »

I am very familiar with Winlog32 and use it with an Icom 756 Pro III using a TTL CAT interface via USB connection. It works very well.

I have recently acquired a TS-870, I am trying to get it working the same way, using an RS232 CAT interface via USB. It is working but only in one direction - the radio correctly follows commands issued from the computer and reports the current frequency and mode etc back to the computer. This shows that data transmission is occuring in both directions across the interface. However the radio itself does not send ANY data to the interface if the operator changes frequency, mode etc from the front panel. Thus Winlog does not track the radio.

My question is very simple - with winlog32 active and a TS-870 RCW open, does the radio report change of frequency, band, mode etc ???

I am trying to determine if this is normal or whether I have a faulty interface on the radio.

Regards

David G1DYC
Worcester UK
AA1E
New user

Re: TS-870 CAT control query

Post by AA1E »

Hi David, I just tried it on my 870 and it does follow the radio frequency. I had never thought of doing this before but it does work for me.
Jake AA1E
G1DYC
New user

Post by G1DYC »

Jake,

Thank you so much !!!

I've been trying to decide if the radio interface is suspect or is working as designed. Rationally I would expect any modern radio to send data to the computer as the operator interacts with it - then any logging or control application knows the exact current state of the radio. Otherwise the application software would have to poll the radio which is inefficient although workable.

I was surprised when the radio remained silent and there are no menu settings governing this area. More modern radios like my Icom 756ProIII output the data at high speed, even my older TS-850 outputs the data (although after a delay of about 300ms).

So it strongly suggests that my radio is not working to full specification.

Some supplementary questions if I may :-

What release of Winlog32 did you use for this test ?
What is the first digit of your Radio's serial number ? (to work out year of manufacture)
What type of interface do you use and connection to computer RS232 or USB ?

Mine is 4xxxxxx which makes it around 2002/2003, so a reasonably late model.

Best regards

Dave
AA1E
New user

Post by AA1E »

Hi Dave, I use Winlog32 6.2.6, and I use RS232 for the interface. As much as I can see of the serial number of my 870, I have it stuck under a shelf and it isn't easy to get out, it is 50900050. Hope this helps, I really like the TS870 but it takes a little getting used to!
G1DYC
New user

Post by G1DYC »

Thanks Jake.

I appreciate you taking the trouble to reply. I'm adding a few more details for the benefit of any one else reading this thread.

I'm also using 6.2.6 (not that I think that is a relevant factor), my interface is RS232 to the radio and USB to the computer, using one of the G4ZLP interfaces made here in the uk (excellent). It uses the FTDI chipset which is well regarded. One other possibility I will check out is to use an RS232 serial connection all the way to the PC in case there is an interface quirk. Not so easy these days as none of my PC's have a real COM port, but I'll find one for the test.

Your serial number, starting with '5' means that the transceiver was manufactured in 2003, at most a year later than mine. So I would expect it to be basically the same revision as I understand there were few changes to the transceiver after 1998.

As I've only recently acquired this transceiver second-hand, in excellent condition, I'm going to have its calibration checked by a local service agent. I will also get the serial interface checked at the same time. It does seem it has a fault. Fortunately the radio is working fine in RF terms.

Once I have his comments I will update and close this thread.

Best 73

Dave
G1DYC
New user

Post by G1DYC »

Anyone else have experience of the TS-870 ??
Or issues and problems with the CAT interface ??

Regards

David G1DYC
Worcester
UK
G1DYC
New user

Post by G1DYC »

Problem Solved.

The TS-870 requires proper RS232 signalling on the RTS and CTS lines. Strapping these together does not allow proper flow control, the result is that the radio is unable to communicate changes back the to the RCW in the PC. Thus the RCW does not follow the radio. Some limited communication does occur with the PC if the PC sends a request to to the radio.

Solution:

Use RS232 from the Radio to the PC (real COM port). Cable must connect GND / RXD / TXD / RTS / CTS signals

Use a USB CAT interface (virtual COM port), but the interface must fully implement the RTS and CTS signals (not just strap them together at the radio)

Regards

David G1DYC
Droitwich
UK