Export adif for DXCC

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G3POM
New user

Export adif for DXCC

Post by G3POM »

Hi all

I want to use the online application system to apply for DXCC credits. Is it possible to export the list of confirmed entities as an ADIF file? Using the export button seems to export as a .txt file with no alternative options.

Sorry if the answer is somewhere on the forums or in the help. I've not been able to find it.

Thank you

Guy - G3POM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Export adif for DXCC

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello Guy

I am not aware of any online application system for DXCC using an ADIF file other than via LoTW, if you know otherwise please point me in that direction, as I have not been able to find any info as to how you can submit a QSL based ADIF file - just looked around the ARRL site again and see nothing, it only mentions submitting text based lists along with the endorsing QSL cards.

As you have found - Winlog32 has no export of ADIF from the DXCC database.

I am not sure if you have a LoTW DXCC account with ARRL, if you haven't, then strongly suggest that you do, Winlog32 has a good automated facility to deal with LoTW verifications, this does NOT allow QSL card submissions though, but I think they can be linked with the electronic ones.

73 Colin, G0CUZ
G3POM
New user

Post by G3POM »

Hi Colin

Thanks for the quick response.

There is an ADIF import facility in the online DXCC system. Start from the ARRL front page and click DXCC at the top, then Online DXCC Application on the left hand menu, then on the Welcome to the ARRL DXCC online application system* link. You're now on a page titled online DXCC. The third button from the left at the top is "Import ADIF". Clicking this takes you to an explanatory page with an import file box at the bottom.

That's what I wanted to use if there was any way to do it.

Ah well perhaps it could go on the wish list for the future!

It's not critical, it's a great logging programme anyway.

Guy - G3POM
G3POM
New user

Post by G3POM »

BTW Colin, yes I do have an LOTW account and the system for managing that via Winlog32 works well. I just happen to have more than 100 real cards to use for an application whereas I'm still short on LOTW.

All this arose because I was going to take the cards to the RSGB convention at the weekend. As it turned out the DXCC system was down for a week until Sunday so I couldn't do it anyway.

Ah well........

Guy - G3POM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

OK, Thanks for explaining Guy

I looked again at the online application page, and I don't see any such button or link, I also looked through all the application blurb, don't see an comments about exporting a file for this purpose.
I think it must be because I am not registered/member of ARRL, thus not seeing this button?

It seems strange that there is no documentation about it, if you can find that I will certainly have a look.

It would be easy to export any data in ADIF, however I am not sure how you would manage this, the DXCC database stores each new entity as it occurs, but unless you enter the QSO (QSL'ed) manually, it will choose the first confirmed in the log, this may not always be the one wanted in the export QSO/QSL set?

It may be possible to achieve this without any changes and within the Log, but still would require some sort of 'flag' added in one of the Log Fields so that a QSO can be returned by a search (thus enabling an export of the search Log data), a character you would not normally use, e.g. $, ^, |, @ etc., could be used as the flag

I am thinking of other ways to manage this, if you have any input, I will sure listen and see what we can come up with.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
G3POM
New user

Post by G3POM »

Hi Colin

Yes I think you may be right that you need to register on the ARRL site, which is a different log in than that for LOTW.

The text from the page in question is:

-------------------------------------------

Import ADIF

•You can import an Amateur Data Interchange Format (ADIF) file which contains the QSO information for the QSLs in your DXCC submission. This will save you the time and effort of entering the information from each card on the Enter QSLs tab. Your logging program should be able to produce an ADIF file from selected QSOs. Or you could create one yourself.
•Do not import an ADIF file containing your entire log — this is never what you want to do. ◦Only one QSL per unique combination of band + mode + DXCC entity may be saved in your Online DXCC account. When imported from an ADIF file, a QSO that duplicates the band + mode + DXCC entity of a QSL that is already in Online DXCC will replace the existing QSL.
◦QSLs are not checked against your DXCC record for duplicate credits; QSLs entered using Online DXCC are only checked against each other.
◦The Online DXCC Application system prevents you from including some — but NOT ALL — duplicate credits in your submission.
◦Online DXCC does not select an optimal set of QSLs (the combination that has the minimum number of QSOs) from an ADIF file upload — this is the applicant's responsibility when preparing the ADIF file. Many logging programs can assist you in selecting which QSOs to include in your submission
◦Note: the applicant will be charged for each QSO included in a submission even if that QSO duplicates a credit in the same submission or one for which you have already been awarded DXCC credit.

•The records from your ADIF file are automatically added to your Online DXCC account on import. Once imported, you will be able to view the QSO information on the Enter QSLs tab. You will also be able to edit or delete QSO information imported using the Enter QSLs tab.
•QSLs imported from an ADIF file appear on the DXCC Record Sheet produced by Online DXCC in the same order as in the ADIF file.
◦QSOs which appear on a single QSL card must be grouped together on your DXCC Record Sheet. If your ADIF file does not have such QSOs in consecutive records, you will need to group these QSOs yourself using the Enter QSLs tab.

On the Enter QSLs tab, press the Edit button and then immediately press the Save button for each QSO that is on the same QSL card (do NOT make any change to the QSO information). Doing this will move these QSOs to the bottom of your DXCC Record Sheet. The QSL card on which these QSOs appear now needs to be placed at the end of your QSLs. Repeat this procedure for each multiple QSO card you are submitting. Note: The top of the display area on the Enter QSLs tab corresponds to the bottom of your DXCC Record Sheet.

•For DXCC — other than Satellite — each record of an ADIF file to be imported into Online DXCC must contain valid values for the CALL, QSO_DATE, BAND (or FREQ), and MODE fields. Each ADIF record should contain a valid value for the DXCC field.
•For Satellite DXCC each record of an ADIF file to be imported into Online DXCC must contain valid values for the CALL, QSO_DATE, PROP_MODE and SAT_NAME fields. The value of the SAT_NAME field must be a supported satellite name; the value of the PROP_MODE field must be "SAT". Each ADIF record should contain a valid value for the DXCC field. ◦When a valid value for the DXCC field is not present in a record, an attempt is made to determine the DXCC entity from the call sign in the record. This determination is not 100% accurate. It is in the applicant's best interest to ensure that a DXCC field containing the correct value is present in each record of an ADIF file imported to Online DXCC

•You can find out more about the Amateur Data Interchange Format on the ADIF web site. There are a number of programs that can convert a log file to an ADIF if that capability is not included with your logging software.

1.Click the Browse... button to find and select the ADIF file on your computer. ADIF files typically end with .adi.
2.Click the Import button to begin importing the contents of the selected file into your account.
3.Informational and error messages during the processing of your ADIF file are displayed in the area directly below the progress bar.
4.When your import has completed, you can verify that the contents of your ADIF file have been added to your online DXCC account by clicking the View All My QSLs button on the Enter QSLs tab.

----------------------------------

In terms of Winlog32, what would be nice would be the option to save as .adi instead of .txt under the export button in the DXCC database. The list I want to upload is the list of QSOs given by the "QSL confirmed" selection with some of the columns suppressed. Even if more than one QSO is listed for each entity that isn't problem as they all need to be in the DXCC system. If there are dupes on the same band/mode I think it's possible to delete once the full list is uploaded. However ideally there'd be a tick box next to each line in the list to select the QSOs to export.

I hope that the text from ARRL site makes things clearer :)

Guy - G3POM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Ahh

Right Guy, that's very useful.

OK then, I'm going to think on this for a while and then look at the best way of doing it.

I suppose, the exported file should filter out the LOTW confirmations (eConfirmed field), or should I trust the end user to filter out these using the present toolbars? (easier for me, hi)

I can see one problem - once the list is uploaded there would not be any tracking of what QSO have been already submitted, and consequentially any new QSO/cards added to the DXCC database would not be obvious.

I don't see a problem exporting ADIF from the DXCC database for this, I'll be working on it probably next week as very busy ATM, I am hoping to finish the new release in a few weeks time, so I think this will be a worthwhile addition if I can include it.

Give me a shout via email in a couple of weeks time, and I'll let you know the outcome.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
G3POM
New user

Post by G3POM »

Hi Colin

"I suppose, the exported file should filter out the LOTW confirmations (eConfirmed field), or should I trust the end user to filter out these using the present toolbars? (easier for me, hi)"

I think you can trust the user to choose the right sort button. Maybe a pop-up warning if the wrong one is selected.

"I can see one problem - once the list is uploaded there would not be any tracking of what QSO have been already submitted, and consequentially any new QSO/cards added to the DXCC database would not be obvious."

That's a good point. You'd know by noting that the sort showed more QSL confirmed entities in the total but I'm not sure how the DXCC app would handle a reload including a lot of dupes. Probably worth a try! It would obviously be more difficult for you to either provide tick box selection of QSOs from the sorted list or put a flag on those uploaded to DXCC with the option not to include them in the sort.

"I don't see a problem exporting ADIF from the DXCC database for this, I'll be working on it probably next week as very busy ATM, I am hoping to finish the new release in a few weeks time, so I think this will be a worthwhile addition if I can include it."

Thanks. I suspect I'm not the only one who would find it useful.

"Give me a shout via email in a couple of weeks time, and I'll let you know the outcome."

Thank you Colin, I'll do that.

Guy - G3POM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Guy

Well, despite what I said, I had some spare time this evening so did manage to get on the dev. computer.

The new function is enabled.

Having some thoughts about it, I can see that I should give the opportunity to export the complete DXCC database, and leave the 'confirmed' filtering and QSO sorting to the end user, with a warning message if non-QSL confirmed have been included in the resultant file.

After a few tests, it seems to be working fine, although obviously I haven't used it with any Online DXCC Application (ODA)

Unfortunately I can not add tracking of uploaded QSL, there is no provision for this in the DXCC database, I don't really want to change the format of same as I like to keep backward compatibility, it will be interesting to see how The ODA handles any duplicate uploads. looking through the document again, it may well reject duplicate QSO/QSL where data matches, so hopefully it will not be of consequence.

The resultant ADIF is easy to read, so there is a possibility to edit it, or later when added to the check sheet, whatever - it will be time saving when handling a good number of QSL like you have.

If you haven't dealt with your ODA yet then drop me an email, perhaps you would like to test.

P.S.
Although only relative, I am interested to know how it works re: QSL submissions, how does the DXCC system know that the QSL have been checked? I presume that you do not have to submit the QSLs to ARRL once they have been vetted by the checker, so do you still have to send a signed check sheet or whatever or however the checker verifies them?

73 Colin
G0CUZ