Winlog32 and maps

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 and maps

Post by G0CUZ »

H N Y

One of my intentions during 2010 is to add various mapping interaction functions in Winlog32, primarily his will be 'google maps' and 'google earth' functions.

My initial research into this is positive and I am sure it will be a very worthwhile addition to the software.

I am faced with the dilemma, whether to offer these new mapping features to all users or make them available to registered users only.

Registered users have up until now had the existing map add-on offered as a small 'thank you' for the extremely useful and welcome support which I gratefuly receive from them - it is this support that enables me to maintain this site, various aspects of the software and keep me positive with future development.

The existing maps feature offered is not exactly ground breaking, but many have found it a useful reference - it certainly took me a great deal of time in the early days of development.

The addtion of other mapping features would dillute down this 'map gift' somewhat for those who have already registered and for those who may wish to register their support in the future.

Registration has never been enforced in any way, it has always been entirely optional, there have never been any 'nag' screens or other such nuisances in an unregistered version, I would like this to continue

I think it is fair to say that Winlog32 is one of the better non-commercial general logging programs available and I am regularily receiving comments that it is better than many commercial products available too.

I have always maintained that Winlog32 will be free for all users to enjoy - without limitations or restrictions and this includes help and support for everyone, something I am proud of and reluctant to change due to my 'ham spirit' outlook on the hobby.

I would be really interested in any comments on whether to make any additional map features available to all users or to registered users only.

Comments from both those who are registered and those who are not regsistered are welcomed, your opinions please, directly to my email address in confidence or you may prefer to use the the forum if you wish.

Happy New Year and DX for 2010

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Winlog32 and maps

Post by DL4KG »

Hello Colin and a happy new year to you,

if you are going to offer an additional feature with google earth I think it should be free for a certain test period. After this period you should ask for a donation (small fee) to get the feature permanently. As an already registered user I think the work you did for maintenanace and development of the program has much more value than a small fee for an additional feature. So everybody can decide on it.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
www.qslnet.de/dl4kg
www.mydarc.de/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
OZ2HT
New user

Winlog32 and maps

Post by OZ2HT »

Happy New Year !!

We can get a full working Winlog32 for free , only the Maps is missing.
I find it fair to donate that "very small fee" to get the Maps !
Keep it this way.

Vy 73 de jorn
GU6EFB
Keen user

Winlog32 and maps

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Happy New Year to you and your family

Thank you for all you have done with Winlog.
I have no problem in paying a small fee for your proposed new maps.

I run many several free amateur radio services in Guernsey and I know only to well the cost and time involved and small donations most certainly help offset some of the costs.

So my vote is for you to make a small charge for maps.

73 Keith GU6EFB

web http://gu6efb.shacknet.nu
GB7DXG-1 Dxcluster telnet gb7dxg.shacknet.nu Port 7300