Winlog32 v5

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 v5

Post by G0CUZ »

You may have see other comments about impending work on v5, but feel I will elaborate a little on what is happening, in case anyone has any comments or input.

Because of the nature of the changes I can not make any further releases of v4, so any recent bug fix reported or improvements generally will have to wait until v5 is finished.

The version change is mainly significant because of a change to the Log Database file structure, something I have avoided in the past to retain forward and BACKWARD compatibility of the Log Databas
The changes will mean that the previous version Log databases will need updating to a new format for v5, this will be achieved programmatically within the software so hopefully will not cause too much concern.

This does however mean that after the update, the Log Database will not work in any previous versions of Winlog32 before v5.

After each log database has been updated, it will be necessary to run the 'Log Check Robot' through your logs to update the relative field with new data.

This new field will contain the DXCC entity codes of each QSO in the log.

This will be a big improvement for those who like to chase data, it will allow functions to select QSOs from the log dependant upon DXCC entity, which was not possible before.
Log sorts by DXCC will be possible.
Functions will also inter-react with the Band Display window, which will allow single click to retrieve (and filter) Log QSOs by their DXCC (band/mode) independent of any prefix used.

Improvements to the Band Display window and functions will allow several band set options to be displayed.

Some work has been done, and testing this particular aspect has been really interesting, I really expect this to be a major asset for those who like to query their logs for DXCC data.

The down side is that I have had to rewrite a lot of the code around the many areas affected by these changes, with possible implications of other unseen problems being created e.g. bugs or unexpected behaviour.

Some other improvements are also planned.

I will be glad if anyone would like to help with testing and evaluating v5, this will require you keeping a seperate 'test' version of Winlog32 on your computer, and NOT updating your present installation until any problems are ironed out.
Please contact me via email with Winlog32 TEST in the message header.

Testing should be begin later in August depending on free time to complete the initial changes.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 v5

Post by G0CUZ »

In addition to above....

I have now added interaction between the DXCC database and Log, using the mouse right-click and select drop-down list method - it will be possible to select various criteria from Log using the DXCC datbase Country and QSO lists

To give an example - select all comfirmed QSO from the Log from a specific country plus the additional possibility of using the existing filters in the DXCC database e.g. by Band.

The mouse right-click and select drop-down list method is pretty well standard navigation practice in Windows software, so I believe this is the best approach.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
GU6EFB
Keen user

Winlog32 v5

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

I would be happy to help with V5 testing

73 Keith GU6EFB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 v5

Post by G0CUZ »

In addition to above improvements....

I have added LoTW Users highlighting to the DXCluster display.

This (Option) will highlight any Callsign that has contributed to the LoTW user list.

The LoTW User List of Callsigns is maintained by Robert, HB9BZA for his 'RXCLUS' software.
I have permission to use the list and any updates in Winlog32, the list will be available on the Winlog32 web-site and via the Winlog32 LATEST UPDATES window.
We must be thankful of the generousity of HB9BZA for maintaning the list and allowing it's use.

In return I would ask anyone who uses LoTW to provide HB9BZA with a copy of their LoTW credits, this will enable Robert to keep the list up-to-date for us all.

The file is "lotwreport.adi " and you can downloaded this from the ARRL LoTW site or via Winlog32's LoTW manager.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT YOUR LOG ADIF FILE.

See.....

http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw/

for details

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
kb5iy
New user

Winlog32 v5

Post by kb5iy »

Colin, when you speak of LOG Databases, does this also include the Ancillary databases? My Ancillary Databases have most of their entries added by hand from older QSL card confirmations without log entries in WINLOG32. I am a little confused about how that will be handled in the conversion.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 v5

Post by G0CUZ »

There are no changes in v5 to the anclillary databases e.g. DXCC etc. but the changes may affect any improvements if your Winlog32 version is pre v4

See 'Changes.txt' in your Winlog32 folder re:

Winlog32 v4.1.3 released July 2007

Later versions of DXCC have a 'Code' field, if yours has this and the Code field is populated with the entity codes then all will be OK for sure.

For those awaiting the beta test on v5, due to the hard drive failure on the dev. PC, I have had to halt development over the last couple of weeks but will be able to continue soon.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
kb5iy
New user

Winlog32 v5

Post by kb5iy »

Colin,

Thanks, I am at the current version.

Is there the possibility that the scroll wheel on the mouse will work in V5?

dale
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 v5

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Dale

Sorry, is not possible to use the scroll wheel.

ADDUM> N.B. Having said that - I am looking in to the possiblity.....
Hopefully we may yet get it working.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Winlog32 v5

Post by DL4KG »

Hi all,

my scroll wheel is working in the log and DX cluster window without problems for a long time - I cannot remember that is did not work.....

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
www.qslnet.de/dl4kg
www.mydarc.de/dl4kg

Edited by - dl4kg on 25/08/2009 5:08:50 PM
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
Vlasta
New user

Winlog32 v5

Post by Vlasta »

My scroll wheel does not work (and did not work in any older version) in the log.
73 Vlasta