Talk display in cluster database

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
F5JSD
New user

Post by F5JSD »

Hi Colin,

I am connecting to a DXNET cluster using WLNET. WLNET is minimized during normal operation and I only have the DXcluster database window open.

I can normally see spots and announcements, but private messages sent to me using the Talk command are not displayed in the announcement area although they appear correctly in the WLNET window.

Is there any chance these can be displayed as well? Possibly in a different color?

Thanks in advance for considering this one.

73 de Pascal - F5JSD

Edited by - F5JSD on 18/10/2007 9:28:50 PM
K4FX
New user

Post by K4FX »

Hi Pascal,

I run mine just as you do and I see the talk at the bottom with an orange background, in the cluster setup I have "show talk" and "show all talk" checked, not exactly sure what the difference is between the 2 but I am seeing what you are asking about

Hope that helps

K4FX
F5JSD
New user

Post by F5JSD »

Hi,

Thanks for the input and sorry for the late feedback.
I also have both boxes ticked "show talks" and "show all talks" not sure either what the difference is. I also have the "talk alarm" ticked.

They are ticked but... I still cannot see either the "Talk" (i.e. private msg sent to me from users connected on my local cluster) or LOCAL announcements. In fact I only see ANN/FULL type of messages in the brown background window between the cluster spots and the cluster database.

Interestingly, I *sometimes* see the prompt from my cluster displayed/interpreted as a Talk (F5JSD de F5MZN-3).

I only tried connecting to DXNET type of cluster at this point. have not tried Spider, CLX or other type. Will check with other types of clusters and report progress (I hope). Can you advise what type of cluster you are connected to?

Thanks in advance.

73 de Pascal - F5JSD
F5JSD
New user

Post by F5JSD »

OK, I made some additional tests.

Talk and LOCAL announcements are correctly displayed in the "brown" section of the cluster window if "show talk" and "show all talk" are both checked AND if WLNET is NOT connected to a DXNET type of cluster. This works perfectly with CC cluster, DXspider...

I will check for a new suitable cluster to connect to...

73 de Pascal - F5JSD
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Pascal

Thanks for the feedback on this subject.

If the packet format is not as anticipated, then there is going to be problems parsing the incoming spot.
Many clusters are using DXspider which is the one that seems compatible with older cluster software packet formats - it does seem a pity that some cluster software authors feel the need to change a well established packet format to suit their own needs without condsidering the parsing compatiblity needs of logging pograms etc.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
KC2WLO
New user

Post by KC2WLO »

I also can not see talk messages unless the WLNet window is maximized. I couldn't surmise a solution from the previous posts. I have show talk and show all talk enabled. I only ask because I missed a message from a fellow in West Virginia that needed New Jersey on 17m. Turns out I needed West Virginia. I missed his message and missed WV...
Keep up the great work Colin, I love your program more every day I use it!!
John KC2WLO

John
KC2WLO
New user

Post by KC2WLO »

Oops... With a little experimentation adjusting the split size of the cluster window I was able to see the talk message portion.

John