Backup

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
tbird
New user

Backup

Post by tbird »

I have been trying to copy or backup to an external hard drive but have not been successful. Ultimately, login flashes red and no information transfers??

Bob
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Backup

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Bob

I think we need more info on what you are actually doing...

'login flashes red'?

Is the external drive connected to the same computer?

Or is the external drive on a network?

Drive letter of the external drive, this should be entered into menu/options/Settings "Database back-up" - back-up path

For back-ups over a network you can use the menu/file/maintenance options 'Transfer'

or you can 'map' a drive drive letter to the local computer for the networked computer.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
tbird
New user

Backup

Post by tbird »

I guess that I am somewhat computer illiterate. I have a laptop with an external drive which I use to backup everything else on my computer. When I make the changes in the drives and tell it to backup, it doesn't. I am on a network with a desktop. I have installed the software on the desktop. I don't know how to put in a drive for the desktop since it is the same C: drive that I have on the laptop.

Bob
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Backup

Post by G0CUZ »

Bob

If you have the two computers networked, and installed Winlog32 on the desk-top computer then on the desk-top computer, open 'My computer' window, menu item Tools - 'Map Network Drive'

If you know you have a SHARED folder on your laptop, (if your laptop does not shared drives/folders then you need to find out how to do this)

Enter the network path for the shared folder in the map network drive window and an appropriate 'mapped' drive letter lets say "Z", then when this is done, you can enter "Z" into Winlog32 back-up path as the back-up drive on your desk-top computer - which will be mapped to your lap-top drive/folder and back-up log database will be placed there.

That is one way - but you can also as mentioned previously 'transfer' your log to the lap-top using that option, this 'transferred' log database will be as good as a back-up.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author