DX Alerts via email/phone 'text message'

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

DX Alerts via email/phone 'text message'

Post by G0CUZ »

One interesting idea put forward recently, is automated DX alerts via email delivered from the Winlog32's DXCluster alerts.

I have begun making some tests with this idea using SMTP via port 25, at first I had some difficulties with the AV software which monitors port 25 - picking up similar type messages and halting them for obvious reasons.
I seem to have have overcome this difficulty by formatting the entire message subject/spot into a single string and this seems to foil the AV mail monitoring so far tested, message body contains same information but in a more readable format.

What is the purpose of all this, well in the case of the user who put this idea forward - is that he can use an email to text message forwarding facility to send DXAlerts direct to his mobile phone, there could be other useful purpose (at work and want to know when xx1xxx comes on?)
but I am just going to provide the possibility - you figure on how you can use it.

Of course I will be putting in some safe-guards to prevent it becoming a nuisance, but am still looking for some guidance on this.

Oh, and before you ask, NO, you can not sent DIRECT 'text messages' to mobile phones, this must be via a forwarding service.

Any comments guys?

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author