DXCC database - new ones

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
HA5X
New user

DXCC database - new ones

Post by HA5X »

Hi,

Just an idea but would help chase DXCC (or other awards): when ARRL gives you credits for your QSLs/LOTW confirmations, we should be able to mark these DXCCs as "already approved". When you make your next DXCC submission, Winlog could help show you which cards you need.

Chris
HA5X
New user

DXCC database - new ones

Post by HA5X »

The problem now is as follows:

I have some 160 credits already approved by ARRL. Now I would like to apply for some single band awards, plus also get my Mixed award approved for 200 countries. But I am lazy to compare the different tables in different systems, ie. what is approved what is not, what is confirmed in Winlog32 now, etc. Even if I would do so, I would still need a lot of papers, and once I am ready I would have to start writing data on application sheets... A lot of manual work.

Winlog could have a feature of storing what is already approved, and maybe those which were rejected for this or other reason. Then there would be a button to compile the DXCC Record Sheet that could be exported into, say CSV. You chose which DXCC award you want to submit credits for, press this button and Winlog would generate a list of the new credits you need for the particular award. I suggest an export of this list, because you still need to check the cards manually and if you find that a QSL will not be accepted by ARRL (eg. the card has false info or written in pencil, or data is modified , etc.) you could replace that by another card from your collection.

I believe this would also be a useful feature for some other awards, like IOTA, etc.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

DXCC database - new ones

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the interesting comments.

What you suggest is rather complex and as it stands there is no provision in the databases for recording credits approved/rejected etc.

It's an interestng idea and I will look into it for the future, but in the meantime, there may be alternative ways of recording this information directly with LoTW where I believe you can link both QSL Card and electronic confirmations

I have not explored this part of loTW as I have never submitted QSL or electronic credits to ARRL but maybe you can look into it and see if it could meet with your requirements?

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
HA5X
New user

DXCC database - new ones

Post by HA5X »

Colin,

When ARRL gives you DXCC credits they record data on their computers. The result is, you can see what they have already credited.

BUT. What to do next? You print this chart, lay it on your desk (if it is big enough :) Then you go to the WL32 DXCC database, choose the desired band/mode, print a list of LOTW-confirmed ones. You compare the two lists (they can be long!) and cross-out entries already approved. Then you go back to WL32 and print a list of paper QSL confirmations. You compare this first with the already-approved list (cross-out those already approved), then you compare it with the LOTW confirmed ones, and you cross these out as well.

Then you take your QSL cards from the shoe-box, check them yourself first if they are likely to be accepted or not. You count how many credits there are on these cards. Then you go to the LOTW site, and file your application, by selecting the electronic credits you need. You also write how many paper QSL credits you will apply for in mail or at a field-checker. Then you take the DXCC application sheets and start putting QSL data on, in the exact order ARRL wants to see it...

I tried this method. A painful lot of work and I never got anywhere (I am lazy...:-)

LOTW helps you a lot with your electronic confirmations. But for your paper cards you will have to spen many hours to decide what you have to submit and create the documentation...

Edited by - ha5x on 27/07/2006 10:00:33 AM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

DXCC database - new ones

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Chris

Thanks for explaining your painful process, although quite a keen DXer myself over many years, perhaps I am even more lazy as I never submitted cards for DXCC, just for my own satisfaction I guess.

You describe a lot of intense work to check your confirmations, but I am quite sure it will be even more intense work for me to improve the situation - just something I never considered when originally building the DXCC database - perhaps we can work together on this in the future to find an answer.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author