Comments on Prefix database

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

As good as it is, the Prefix database used in Winlog32 struggles with certain call prefixes, in particular and regularily reported is KG4, the KG4xx calls allocated to Guantanamo Bay whilst the KG4xxx calls are allocated to U.S.A.
Other prefixes like K5K (Kingman Reef) also cause trouble to the WL parse and search procedure in the prefix database.
The next version of Winlog32 (v1.7) will have revised procedures which will work with a new modified prefix database, this will give the correct allocations for the above callsigns, and other future ones with similar problems.
As a bonus, callsigns such as G8xx and G8xxx will be correctly assigned to their licence class etc., and it will also enable me to expand the prefix database with any similar 'suffix length' related allocations.
As I like to keep backward and forward compatibility in WL32, the old and new prefix databases will work with any version too (- but with/without these new procedures).
Any future issuse of the prefix database will have the new format.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
a.yoshida
New user

Post by a.yoshida »

Hello Colin and all
It must be very powerful if we can edit the database and correct the country
assign on log entry window, because it is almost impossible to assign country perfecyly.

73 de aki, ja1nlx
ZL3GA
New user

Post by ZL3GA »

Hi Colin,
Sounds great! I also agree with Aki's comment, if possible, can you allow the user to update the country allocated to the particular log entry "on-the-fly" rather than having to close down Winlog, edit the prefix database and reload Winlog to log that new country you just worked!! The ones that spring to mind are FO0, I don't think you'll ever be able to "trap" those properly?!

Had a great weekend here so far, three new ones, 5U4R, S9LA and YA5T!!

Geoff ZL3GA

Geoff Clark, ZL3GA
Christchurch
New Zealand
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the comments.

I had several similar suggestions over a period of time, the only problem with this is that on next prefix database update, you will loose these assigned calls/countries as they would be stored inside the prefix database file.

I have an idea to get around it though but will have to leave this for a later version as I want to complete the existing work on v1.7 ready for release very shortly.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Further to the above comments, and in a mad moment, I have now revised the Prefix database further.
You can now store callsigns directly into the Prefix database, this means that you can allocate any Country designator to any callsign.
This new procedure takes place directly from the Log, by double clicking on the Country (from the Country data window), and a very straight forward procedure can allocate any Country to the Callsign in seconds.
This is just what some guys have been asking for, and shows that I DO take some notice (eventually hi).
Having made the changes to the database as discussed in the previous topic, I have decided to make the 'big' change at this time instead of waiting till later and causing more confusion.
I am presently tidying up the new procedures and testing, but so far it is looking very promising and should put the current ZK1 and FO0 (and others)problem to rest for good.
A conseqence of the new prefix database is that in future you will need to run a small executable to update the Prefix database instead of simply replacing the Prefix database as before, so that any user additions are not lost.
The new type of database will be available with the next version, old Prefix databases will still work with any version but without this feature, The new style Prefix database will also work with any version of WL32 but without this feature.
One extra feature of the change is that even if a single callsign is worked from two different DXCC entities, which happens in particular with the FO0's, the Country designation will still be correct!

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author