ASP Online Log problems

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

ASP Online Log problems

Post by G0CUZ »

Anyone who has used Winlog32 log database with the online log search ASP page I developed a few years ago, probably has noticed the intermittant and sporadic error messages from the Brikster server 'Temporary non volitile...".
Simliar ASP code powers the Forum and other online facilities e.g. Prefix Search'.

This error is generated by the Brinkster server and during the last few months I have been trying to find a permanent cure, as the error is generated server side, there appears nothing I can do in the ASP code to prevent it.

As the ASP facility is provided free by Brinkster for experimental purposes, I do not have much leverage to make them fix the problem on their servers.

I think I have found a 'cure' - although from a compability point of view not very satisfactory

I have found that by updating the MS Access databases to a more recent version (jet 4), it seems to be very stable withou changing any of the ASP code.
This is what I have done as an experiment with the databases for the Forum and some of my personal online Log databses - so far so good, problem is that I can no longer boast uploading without any modification, thus adding a further complexity to this feature.

Winlog32 databases are powered by MS Access jet 3.51, updating the database to the next version means that they can not be used further in Winlog32, forward and backward compatibilty is something I have tried to maintain since the original release of Winlog32 v.1.

So for those few who want to use the ASP online Log search at Brinkster the simple solution is to convert the database to Access Jet 4 (e.g. Access 2000 - 2003) using that software before uploading to Brinkster - it appears to work fine!.

HOWEVER IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ANY SUCH CONVERSION WILL RENDER THE LOG DATABASE INCOMPATIBLE WITH WINLOG32 - NOT A SERIOUS ISSUE, BUT MAKE SURE THAT YOU MAKE A COPY OF OUR ORIGINAL LOG DATABASE BEFORE UPLOADING - DO NOT MODIFY YOUR ORIGINAL FILE.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author