DXCluster Spots on VHF

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

DXCluster Spots on VHF

Post by G0CUZ »

Those interested in VHF DX and also using the DXcluster may be interested in the following comments.....

DX Robots are being developed and used to scour the cluster spots for ES and AR propagation and produce automated alerts, to make things easy for these Robots I propose to introduce a formatted spot for such modes, "HISLOCATOR<ES>MYLOCATOR" will be the format used, and when sending spots at VHF a button will appear to add this data to the spot before being sent

The above spot can be formatted semi-automatically, HISLOCATOR will, after checking validity, be added from that entered in Log field 'Remarks', and MYLOCATOR will be that added as entered in 'Change User - the propagation mode could be that selected in the Log's Prop. field or I may leave as <ES> as this is mainly the purpose for this spot and it could be edited if required.

Whether to automatically add the formatted 'locator spot' to the 'Remarks' field in Winlog32 is open to discussion, perhaps it could be useful to process this data at a later date?

Winlog32 can already detect and process locators when they have been added to a incoming cluster spot checking these against the VHF database, although this is restricted to the first thing (locator?) entered in the spot to save too many ambiguities, I intend to expand this so that the new format can also be detected.

I have always advised a 'standard' by adding the DX's locator first followed by your own locator, unfortunately such data is usually added haphazardly or incompletely if at all.

It is hoped that real time propagation maps can be produced by such robots in the future, anyone interested in Sporadic E propagation particularly on the 2m band will know the usefulness of knowing the ES Cloud position in real time, check the DK5YA web pages for such examples of these maps - they are nothing short of fantastic! although a lot of manual work for DK5YA presently.

The accuracy of such maps will depend on the accuracy of reporting - here I will be doing my little bit, by encouraging the use of this standard format for reporting locators in spots.

Any comments?

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

DXCluster Spots on VHF

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

your proposal will add a real benefit to WL32. It will save a lot of typing and therefore I would like to have it in one of the next versions.
These formatted locator spots are very welcome for any DX propagation on VHF, e.g. meteorscatter.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
S54M
New user

DXCluster Spots on VHF

Post by S54M »

> Winlog32 can already detect and process locators when they have been added to a incoming cluster spot checking these against the VHF database, although this is restricted to the first thing (locator?) entered in the spot to save too many ambiguities, I intend to expand this so that the new format can also be detected.

Excellent !

> It is hoped that real time propagation maps can be produced by such robots in the future...

Eagerly awaiting ;(

73 de Maki S54M (9A4ZM, N1MZ)

Maki
G8VHB
New user

DXCluster Spots on VHF

Post by G8VHB »

Hello all.

If you want to see maps with realtime updates from VHF and UHF cluster spots have a look at "http://www.on4kst.com/"

73 Mike g8VHB

73 Mike G8VHB
André pe1hwo
New user

DXCluster Spots on VHF

Post by André pe1hwo »

Winlog seems to detect a missing locator in any place of the line now.
I have been sending formatted dxspots for some time. It works well for me.

Some others (Dave and Gabriel also support formatted spots in there software)
I cloud not yet convince them to put the dx locator in the first place.
(for me and for others the most important part of the spot).

These formatted spots make it possible to do some analysis to study vhf propagation, like the work of Volker DF5AI and others.

73 André pe1hwo
G0CUZ
Site Admin

DXCluster Spots on VHF

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks to all for comments on this subject.

I agree with Andre, that the 'DX' locator should be shown first, although it would be easy to change it the other way around - it does seem more logical to put the remote locator first.
In the case of robots I guess it doesn't realy matter as the mid-point data will be the same anyway, so I am not so worried about it.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author