New DXCC entities

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

New DXCC entities

Post by G0CUZ »

Yes, we are getting some new DXCC

Due to the disolution of the existing Netherlands Antillies group, most of the islands will get there own DXCC identity.
Presently there are two groups which count for DXCC

St. Maarten, Saba, St. Eustatius (PJ5,6,7,8)
(Netherlands Antillies) Curacao and Bonaire (PJ2,4,9)

It is expected that both of these existing entities will be DELETED from the DXCC list and replaced by four new ones, ARRL have not announced exactly what they plan to do but everyone expects that we will have four new entities:-

Curacao (PJ2)
Bonaire (PJ4)
St. Eustatius and Saba (PJ5 & PJ6)
Sint Maarten (PJ7)

The new entities will count for DXCC as of 0400 UTC on 10 October 2010, however ARRL awards will not accept the new entity confirmations until after 01 Jan 2011.

I expect that the DXCC entity codes will not be forthcoming from ARRL for some time as it has been the case in the past, this always makes it difficult to incorporate new Countries into logging software which uses the Country entity codes for internal purposes.

With this in mind I may have to issue some interim entity codes for these so that we can get Winlog32 to work with these new countries.

I will release a new version shortly after 10 October with updates for these 'new ones', so "go get 'em"

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

New DXCC entities

Post by G0CUZ »

I know that there are now several stations operating from the new PJ entities, but still there is no official news from ARRL as of 10/10/2020 on what will be counted new.

quote from ARRL

"operation from the islands of Curacao, Bonaire, Sint Maarten, Saba and St Eustatius will count for a yet-to-be-determined number of new entities under the DXCC List".

Until I am sure what exactly will be the entites, there does not seem any point in adding the assumed new ones to the DXCC database.

All I can be definate about is that the present two entities are NOW DELETED from the DXCC list, the new ones can not be submitted for the DXCC award until 2011, so if ARRL with all their resources need 3 months to sort this out I am not sure I should be so concerned at this point.

I would imagine that all loggging programs have the same problem.

I will keep a close eye on the situation, but until there is some official news, I will have to hang-fire.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

New DXCC entities

Post by G0CUZ »

Just found an official announcement (13/10/2010) on ARRL website blog, that as expected, we DO get four new entites, these are as in original post.

The approved entity 'codes' for these are unlikely to be forthcoming yet, Winlog32 relys on these codes as do most other logging programs, for determining entities and for internal functions, so I will have to devise some interim codes and these will require updating when the new codes are announced.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
WA5KGW
New user

New DXCC entities

Post by WA5KGW »

Colin - I must be doing something wrong, but I cannot find these new entities in the country list in the DXCC database. Here's the exact situation:
1) I have the latest of everything downloaded and installed.
2) When I enter a QSO with any of these new entities, the correct, new country is automatically assigned by winlog32.
3) When I work any of these new entities on a new band/mode, and enter the QSO in the log, winlog32 correctly gives me the little "DXCC Database" table (which is temporarily displayed in the log screen) showing the worked/confirmed status of all bands/modes worked, and the correct country name.
4) When I enter a received QSL for any band/mode for any of these new entities, it correctly updates the same little "DXCC Database" table temporarily displayed in the log screen; and, I can find these new countries and their QSL'ed QSOs when I view the QSL Database.
5) However, I cannot find any of these new countries or any of their QSOs when I view the DXCC database (even though I always get the correct little "DXCC Database" table when logging QSOs and QSLs for these entities).

To fix number 5), is there some other DXCC Database update I need to do? Thanks you (and anyone else you might post help) for the help!!
John - WA5KGW
WA5KGW
New user

New DXCC entities

Post by WA5KGW »

Ooops! OK, found a post describing the DXCC Database update (via File, Maintenance, File maintenance), so, backed up my log, clicked on "Update DXCC Database" (I had no idea that button was in that window), and, now all is well.

How often should one do this update?

---with each new winlog32 release?
---with each new prefix file update?
---after we have made manual changes to country allocations?
---all of the above?

John - WA5KGW
G0CUZ
Site Admin

New DXCC entities

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi John

You will need to do that for every new change of a DXCC entity status, as long as I have already released the appropriate DXCC update.

Such an occasion is with latest release where we have a status change to Malyj Vysotskij Island (Deleted entity February 2012)

So when you have updated to v5.7.4, you should do 'Update DXCC' again - you will then see you have lost a DXCC entity from your score (I guess).

Regards Colin G0CUZ
WA5KGW
New user

New DXCC entities

Post by WA5KGW »

Thanks, Colin. I sure appreciate having Winlog32.

John
ks7u
New user

New DXCC entities

Post by ks7u »

quote:Originally posted by G0CUZ

Just found an official announcement (13/10/2010) on ARRL website blog, that as expected, we DO get four new entites, these are as in original post.

The approved entity 'codes' for these are unlikely to be forthcoming yet, Winlog32 relys on these codes as do most other logging programs, for determining entities and for internal functions, so I will have to devise some interim codes and these will require updating when the new codes are announced.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author