BACKUP BACKUP

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

BACKUP BACKUP

Post by G0CUZ »

From time to time I receive mail from someone who has had a hard drive crash or corrupted log database file in some cases it has been irretrievable and I think it is timely to remind you that you MUST back up your log file frequently and onto a different storage medium from the one normally used for Winlog.

Another problem that can occur is a crash during a QSO<>hard drive write, the Log database can be damaged, this is usually fixable but if not then you have back ups?.

Viruses can be another problem infecting files although I never had a problem with this myself.

Some DO'S and DONT'S

DON'T get complacent just because you have had no trouble with your hard drive - it doesn't mean that it will never happen!

DO back up your log file regularly to a floppy and don't use some old worn out disk either, use a new one they are so cheap, CDR's or onto another computer's drive is even better.

DON'T EVER rely on the back up you have made on your only hard drive.

DO Keep more than one back up, rotate several different floppies like I do, so even if one is lost there is ALWAYS another to fall back on.

DON'T open Winlog32 log databases with any other program e.g. MS Access unless you have already plenty of up-to-date back-ups and you know what you are doing so if things go wrong..... All Winlog32 databases including Logs are compliant with MS Jet 3.5 do not try and open them with MS Access using a different version jet, (earlier or later than 'Office 97' Access) if in doubt ask me first.

DO Export your Log in ADIF or ASCII format from time to time as an extra precaution.

DON'T overwrite your current Log with the back up version for what ever reason, always RENAME the existing one to xxlog.OLD and then copy the back up file, keep track of what you are doing.

DON'T BACK UP and it's a lot of work to write up those old QSO's again, and if you do not keep a hard copy print out - IT'S GONE FOR EVER!!

I'm not trying to frighten anyone and I must add that I have found the MS Jet 3.5 that controls the Winlog32 databases very reliable and in eight years of using Winlog for my personal logging together with all the testing I do on several Windows platforms, I have never had a failure or corruption and all 6000+ QSO's are still intact as written to the Log over that period, BUT I still make regular back ups!

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
g0gfq
New user

BACKUP BACKUP

Post by g0gfq »

Hi Colin

I agree whole heartedly with your advice of regular back ups. I use Winlog 32 on both my computers (not everyone's got 2 I know!) I would have to be really unlucky for both to crash, but religiously back up every week.

Your comment on your database of 6,000 QSO's posed a question, is there an upper limit in a single log?? Mine is approaching 10,000, should I split it up or keep going?

Keith GØGFQ
Please visit my website: www.g0gfq.com
G0CUZ
Site Admin

BACKUP BACKUP

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello Keith & others

Thanks for the comments.

In theory there is no limit on the number of QSO's you can enter into a single log database - how big is your hard drive!? (hi hi)

The only down side is that log queries will run slower as you approach the 50,000 QSO mark, I remember testing this some time ago on a P133 and the 'previous QSO search' lag was beginning to be quite noticable.

The other minor problem with big logs is backing up onto floppies will not be practical when the log size exceeds 1.4MB.

I think most of us mere mortals with moderate QSO rate will not have to worry too much......

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

BACKUP BACKUP

Post by G0CUZ »

Copying files onto a CDR using a writer is a good secure way to back-up files, for future use or transportation....
BUT
For some reason Windows changes the file attributes to READ ONLY when you copy back these files onto your hard drive.
This will happen to all files not just those associated with Winlog32.
As the database files in Winlog32 need 'write' access, errors will occur when you attempt to write to the file as in normal operation of WL32.
You can remove the Read Only file attributes in the usual manner when they are copied back to yor hard drive though, (right mouse click and select properties).
Windows XP seems to have 'grown up' and does not create this havoc.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
M3PHP
New user

BACKUP BACKUP

Post by M3PHP »

Hi all

you can also use a Zip Drive my one can store upto 100mb of data. but when i backup my log its sent to a different computer in the shack :)

Peter, M3PHP

73 Peter, M3PHP
g4aon
New user

BACKUP BACKUP

Post by g4aon »

Colin

In version 1.8, there is now a floppy disk symbol for backing up the database. Even when I've just done that, the program asks if I want to backup on exiting the program. Is there a flag you can set to avoid the prompt on exit under these circumstances?

73's Dave
G0CUZ
Site Admin

BACKUP BACKUP

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Dave and others.

Yes there is an option to exit without the back-up prompt.
Menu/Options/Database-Backup - backup options
Un-check the "Backup log database on exit" option, there should now be a less frustrating exit.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author